Crawl Across the Ocean

Sunday, January 16, 2005

The Hazards of Tobogganing and Social Security 'Reform'

I've never written for a newspaper so I don't really know, but I'm thinking one of the biggest advantages of blogging vs. the world of print is being able to write your own headlines. Of course, there may be a reason those two jobs are often separated.

Anyway, a friend mentioned the other day that there was an article in the (Vancouver) North Shore News on the dangers of tobogganing (prompted by a local boy who got a concussion) and that the article was recommending laws to make helmets mandatory while sliding. There is no word yet on whether this was just a big left-wing plot to get Andrew Coyne so upset that he stops writing altogether.1

Meanwhile, I'm starting to think that this whole plan to mess up the U.S. economy, I mean reform Social Security, may be just a ploy to get Paul Krugman so upset that he pulls a Coyne2 - or at the very least stops writing about all the other Bush disasters in the making. If you want a great example of Krugman demolishing the plan for Social Security 'reform', see this link (courtesy of another friend) to an interview with him in Rolling Stone.

1 Andrew Coyne had an excellent Blog which came 4th in voting for best Conservative blog despite the fact that he hasn't posted to it for months - mysteriously disappearing from his blog right after a series of impassioned pleas to stop the madness of mandatory cycling helmet laws.

2 OK technically Coyne only stopped blogging, he kept writing his column, and since Krugman doesn't have a Blog, just a column, it's not a perfect analogy, but nobody likes a nitpicker.

UPDATE: Courtesy of my North Van friend, here is the link to the toboggan story in the North Shore news. As my friends says, whatever happened to bailing out before you hit something? (or went over an embankment with rocks below) - were we wimps in our generation?

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • I didn't see your email listed on the blog so I am posting the link to another article about the Social Security Reform in the US. It's from the NY Times Magazine.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/16/magazine/16SOCIAL.html

    It's a very good read.

    Cheers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:04 PM  

  • Yeah, someone mentioned to me the other day that I don't have a contact link anywhere, I'll have to add that one of these days.

    Thanks for the link - I actually saw that piece earlier today and emailed the link to my home email so I could put up a post referring to it tonight (honest!). I'll still put up a post in case people don't read the comments.

    By Blogger Declan, at 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home