Crawl Across the Ocean

Sunday, July 26, 2009

End Times in Vancouver

After a hot Saturday in Vancouver, a rare Vancouver thunderstorm rolled in (the best I've seen/heard in over 5 years here), complete with the sky turning a shade of orange that I've never seen before and will likely never see again.

Last night Vancouver really was awesome, in the original, non-watered down, focus on 'awe' meaning of the word.

Although I took a few photos and videos myself, my camera-fu is weak and they don't really capture it properly. Luckily a flickr search for 'Vancouver orange lightning' gets lots of hits from better photographers than I.

Here is the best of my photos (my girlfriend's actually), but it truly doesn't do any justice to the display so you really need to click on the links.



Here's a photo from 'orcagirl' on flickr that managed to capture the true orangeness of the sky and the lightning at the same time...

The display by mother nature was nicely timed, since there were thousands of people already out on sunset beach and surrounding area (those that braved the accompanying downpour, anyway) for the evenings fireworks.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • It looks like the sky of a planet from an old episode of Star Trek.

    By Blogger Greg, at 8:22 AM  

  • Probably one that was otherwise "just like Earth".

    I've been in Innsbruck for the past month and scarcely a day goes by without a massive thunderstorm. Mountains and lightning are a very nice combo (while inside anyway).

    By Blogger JG, at 8:05 AM  

  • Well it might have had two moons (or suns) as well Josh...

    Yeah, the thunderstorms is one thing I miss from Ontario, part of why I appreciated Saturday's light and sound show so much.

    By Blogger Declan, at 10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home