Crawl Across the Ocean

Monday, January 14, 2008

Oh Yeah, The Transit Plan

My previous post talked about some of the numbers, but didn't address the details of actual transit plan (what little detail there is on it, anyway). I was going to write a post on this, but instead will advise you to read Sacha's excellent summary, I have little to add and few points of disagreement (although I am somewhat more optimistic about the impact on greenhouse gases from building more transit).

As an aside: He's right about the new American Gladiators stinking as well (Update: By 'as well' I mean about Sacha being right on both counts, I'm not implying that the transit plan stinks (as well) - both Sacha and I are generally in favour and want it to proceed post haste. The plan - not American Gladiators, that is. Hmm, I suppose this is why they say you should stick to one topic per blog post. Anyway, short version: Transit Plan good, New American Gladiators bad, me and Sacha in agreement (for the most part) End Update.)

The little I do have to add on the topic of transit is that after visiting Hong Kong, I am keen to see Vancouver employ a 'smart card' approach (like the 'Octopus Card' used in Hong Kong, or the "oyster card used in London). A smart card could replace both monthly passes and the Translink tickets. Equipped with RFID chips you would only have to have your card in the general area (like the pass most people have for office jobs) rather than swiping or inserting and trying to get the direction right and so on. It could also be used to implement a smarter distance based pricing so that, for example, you didn't need to pay for a whole two-zone pass because you worked on one side of a fare boundary and lived on the other (e.g. live at Joyce and work at Metrotown, a likely combination). Plus, if the card gained widespread acceptance it could be used at stores as well, not just for transit. Recharging it over the internet (as mentioned in the transit plan) would be easier than going to the shop to buy a pass or little books of tickets.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • I don't know ... the last two posts strike me as a little whiny.

    With so few governments changing direction at all let alone demonstrating a little policy consistency wrt ghg emission reduction I would have thought you'd find something positive to say.

    just my 2 cents

    By Blogger KevinG, at 10:22 PM  

  • Last post I said I supported spending more on transit and more power to them (the government) for doing that, and this one I linked to Sacha's positive assessment, modifying it only to be more positive than he was about the ghg impact and the benefits from smart cards.

    Still, you may be right, I may have focussed more on my pet peeve big number syndrome tree and less on the building more transit is good forest than is appropriate.

    By Blogger Declan, at 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home