Crawl Across the Ocean

Monday, July 25, 2005

Telus Branching Out into Censorship

For the last little while, this blog has been the number one result of a google search for 'Telus Blog' (only 'Ocean Sex' brings more searchers my way) so I feel obligated to help my readers keep up with the latest Telus news1.

Now, regular readers will know that I'm not a big fan of Telus, but my biggest beef with them has been their terrible customer service. Via The Coast of Bohemia2, I see that Telus has moved beyond just providing bad service to actively preventing their internet customers from viewing certain sites - sites which, not coincidentally, portray Telus in a bad light in it's ongoing labour dispute (in which Telus has already been found by the courts to be bargaining in bad faith a number of times).

Poor service is one thing, but censorship is a whole other level. I'm glad I've already switched away from Telus for all services. Even if you don't find their actions offensive, you have to wonder how well managed a company that would do something this stupid is - the future isn't looking too friendly for Telus these days, through nobody's fault but their own.


----
1 I was going to add, 'especially when it's bad news' but news about Telus always seems to be bad news so I figured that would be redundant.

2 If you need to see the story in a 'reputable' media source to believe it, see here for the CBC take.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • i posted a mirror vfc site url on my blog, though you may have already come across that somewhere else.

    By Blogger ainge lotusland, at 10:22 PM  

  • Sounds good, but I kind of wanted people on Telus service to not be able to get there since that would be the most irritating outcome - and the one most likely to make them drop Telus :)

    ok, actually it didn't occur to me, but it's a good idea.

    By Blogger Declan, at 10:28 PM  

  • everyone i talk to is pissed off, especially eastern europeans. wonder why...

    and im tired of people from the freakin right not experiencing outrage because its a union being targeted.

    By Blogger ainge lotusland, at 2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home