Crawl Across the Ocean

Monday, April 11, 2005

Next Blog

I always enjoy clicking the 'next blog' button that hangs out in the top right corner of the page on blogger blogs. Partly because I enjoy running across wacky stuff that I would never find in a million years except through some random process, and partly because it makes me feel better about my blog and my writing knowing that my blog is way better than at least half of all the blogger blogs out there (because half of all blogs are spam blogs).

But every now and then I run across a blog which has the opposite effect - that is, one which makes me realize how much better my writing could be. This site, is one of those. The first post I ran across by random chance was this one on the movie Rocky. Some other recent highlights include hate speech against skim milk, and admonishment for guys who encourage fat women to wear tight pants by lying to them.

I also liked his recent post on humour and political commentary - some highlights:

"Dennis Miller has to be at the top of the list of people I'm supposed to think are funny, but don't ... Miller is now something of a political analyst, which is perfect for one who fails as a football analyst ... The really interesting thing about Miller's new persona, is that he has positioned himself to be the "thinking man's" Sean Hannity. The problem is that "thinking men" have no use for Sean Hannity."

and later on,

"I voted for neither Bush, nor Kerry, and consider myself neither Democrat nor Republican, but there is no doubt in my mind, that George W. Bush is by far the funniest president of my lifetime. He did it again this week when he said of the Terri Schiavo case: "In cases like this one, where there are serious questions and substantial doubts, our society, our laws and our courts should have a presumption in favor of life". I'll bet there were more than a few recent military widows please to hear that."


I'm generalizing here about a nation of over 300 million people, but in a way Roger's Rants resonates with my mental image of the proto-typical American - opinionated, unapologetic and thoughtful, all wrapped up in some eloquent writing.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Declan, even though you really did nothing and only through coincidence happened upon Roger's Rants, good work. And don't forget that without randomness we'd never have evolved from apes (let alone some bizarre aquatic life), discovered penicillin or, in my case anyway, half my success with women. Cheers.

    By Blogger Tim, at 3:32 PM  

  • Yes I can click 'next blog' with the best of them. Also, you missed world-class reversi programs in your list of randomness accomplishments...

    By Blogger Declan, at 6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home