Crawl Across the Ocean

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

So much for fiscal conservatism

I was flipping channels and came across Bush's state of the union address in progress.

I stopped to listen and the first thing I heard was that they were going to stick to their plan to cut the deficit in half by 2009 (followed by a long round of applause).

The next point was that government should spend tax dollars wisely or not at all (followed by more applause). Apparently interest payments to foreign countries are considered a wise use of tax dollars.

Also, I don't know if this is normal since I don't watch too many speeches, but it seems really odd to see/hear people clapping after every sentence.

Oh and apparently social security is heading towards bankruptcy (??) and needs to be saved ... Man what a pile of *** all this social security stuff is ... 'We have to move ahead with honesty'... man I really feel sorry for any American who actually pays attention to reality. OK, time to change the channel.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

  • ...they were going to stick to their plan to cut the deficit in half by 2009That plan was announced at least as far back as 2003 and it was to halve the deficit in five years, which would be 2008. So the wheels have already fallen off that one.

    ...it seems really odd to see/hear people clapping after every sentence.Fairly routine for an SOTU.

    By Blogger pogge, at 8:07 PM  

  • "Fairly routine for an SOTU."

    Yeah, I had a feeling. Like I said, I don't see this kind of thing too often. Still seems pretty strange. I guess I could kind of see it, if it was a fiery emotional speech and the crowd was getting into it, but in the context of Bush's speech tonight, it made it seem almost like I was watching a game show or a sitcom or something where the crowd was responding to an applause light going on as opposed to having a natural reaction.

    Perhaps it's planned that way for effect, but to me, if anything, it took away from his speech.

    By Blogger Declan, at 8:23 PM  

  • It's fascinating to watch rhetoric morph into "reality", isn't it?

    Sounds like the full assault on social security is underway. I wonder if Bush and his gang haven't finally overstepped themsleves on this one.

    By Blogger Janie For Mayor, at 11:54 PM  

  • Every time I think that Bush and his crew can't sell something to his fellow Americans, he proves me wrong.

    Still, there are so many bad signs coming from his fellow Republicans (not to mention the facts behind the facade) that I can't imagine this snow job being successful.

    I wouldn't bet money against it though!

    By Blogger Simon, at 8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home