Crawl Across the Ocean

Sunday, March 19, 2006

The Wall Street Journal and Turkey

Via, the Political Theory Daily Review (which is worth bookmarking if you're interested in politics and political theory), I ran across this interesting interview between Robert Pollock of the Wall Street Journal and Tayyip Erdogan, the Prime Minister of Turkey.

Read it and be mighty thankful that Turkey's leader is Erdogan, not Pollock. The U.S. (large parts of it, anyway) really seem to have lost touch with reality, although I supposed generalizing from the editorial board of the Wall Street Journal is unfair. On the other hand, the fact that such a historically prestigious publication can have such hacks on its editorial board sort of proves my point.

3 Comments:

  • Pollock's right-wing opinions make me queasy, especially when he states them as fact.

    By Blogger Simon, at 11:39 AM  

  • I'm not sure which part I liked better, the part where he talks abou how a column he wrote last year changed the course of Turkish history, or the part further down where he first misinterprets Erdogan as saying that Turkey is unafraid of Iran because they rely on the U.S. for protection, and then threatens that the U.S. might withdraw that protection if Turkey doesn't behave.

    By Blogger Declan, at 3:54 PM  

  • Good examples.

    I also like how Erdogan mentions the importance of regional dialogue, and then this schmuck laughs it off as an extremist position, and not even a real position at that (he claims it's merely cover for ostensibly distant U.S.-Turkey relations).

    This is the first time I've ever read a Pollock piece, and I think it's going to have to be my last. That was awful.

    By Blogger Simon, at 5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home