Crawl Across the Ocean

Friday, April 07, 2006

If I Were Prime Minister, Episode 2

(note: first installment here)

Well, it's a (somewhat) sunny Friday in Vancouver. I'm looking at the calendar on the wall and it tells me that it has been 96 days since the last statutory holiday. I appreciate that not everybody gets holidays off, and that it is bad for GDP if we don't all work 24/7/52, but I still think that the simplest, most direct way for the Prime Minister to increase happiness in his or her domain would be to add an extra national holiday.

Timing-wise it would be logical to have it in February. Perhaps we could align with Alberta which has a holiday on the third Monday of the month. What to call it could certainly be a controversial topic, although as Prime Minister, I think I would just go with 'Snow Day'. True, there are parts of Canada, like the lower Mainland which are unlikely to have snow at this time of the year, but most of the country will have snow (for now, anyway) and even in B.C. many people can take the long weekend to go skiing.

No penny, and an extra holiday. So far I think my Prime Ministerial platform is looking pretty good. Next time I'll try to avoid going 15 months between installments in this series.

4 Comments:

  • Would somewhat defeat the purpose by making it a statutory holiday, though.

    By Blogger Declan, at 2:30 PM  

  • I nominate Chinese New Year's. I love holidays that follow lunar calendars because they always surprise me. When is Easter this year?

    Don

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:18 AM  

  • In Nova Scotia, MLA Diana Whalen has put forward a bill last year about creating Joseph Howe day in February for a statuatory holiday.

    http://www.liberalcaucus-ns.com/newsrel2/February17b2006.html

    By Blogger Bailey, at 7:50 PM  

  • Good Friday is on Friday. I could go for Chinese New Year but it might open a Pandora's box of different ethinc groups wondering why their new year doesn't get a statutory holiday - although I agree that there is something appealing about holidays which follow the lunar cycle.

    Thanks for the link Bailey, I guess if every province makes its own holiday in February, that will work too. Perhaps Nova Scotia can show some leadership on this key issue.

    By Blogger Declan, at 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home