Crawl Across the Ocean

Monday, January 09, 2006

Theodore ready: Outdoes Roy

Maybe it's just me, but this story from CP really cracked me up,
"MONTREAL (CP) - Canadiens goalie Jose Theodore got a shock Monday when a stranger in full hockey equipment jumped on the ice during a Montreal practice and shot a puck at him. ... Wearing skates, full gear and a plain white hockey jersey, the man skated in on the star goalie with a stick and a puck. He was poke-checked on his first attempt and Theodore then stopped a weak wrist shot to the high glove side. ...

"I didn't really know what was going on until the guy came on," a grinning Theodore said later. "He came at me with his head down so I just wanted to say `Welcome to the big boys.'

"I poke-checked him to say `You have to keep your head up.' When he came back, I though about going out of the net and not playing into his game, but then I thought he had the (courage) to go on the ice, so I let him have a free shot at me.

"He couldn't beat me. That's the main thing."

While waiting for the police to arrive, Raphael told reporters that while Theodore is a "great goalie," he didn't score because "I didn't have time."


You gotta love Theodore's 100% pure goaltender reaction to the situation.

I can't be the only one who is reminded of an old commercial from the 90's (80's?) featuring Patrick Roy in which some amateur comes on Roy on a breakaway, trips and falls but still manages to slide the puck past Roy. Roy then says (in a great Quebecois accent), "It's no fair, I wasn't ready". I guess in this case Theodore was ready, and it was left to the amateur to make excuses.

-----
P.S. When CP is editorializing on how bad your wrist-shot is, that's not good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home