Crawl Across the Ocean

Monday, June 13, 2005

In Lieu of...

...actually writing anything myself, I'm just going to keep linking to other stuff I happened to like. Take this post by Mahigan at True North for example, which talks about the recent struggles of the Conservative party and is worth a read purely for the sheer variety and density of insult contained within, never mind the actual content. If rantings are ecosystems this post is a rainforest.

A sample:
"The unholy marriage of the Progressive Conservative party and the Social Credit Reform Alliance party didn't make much sense in the first place. It was an opportunistic circular firing squad type of arrangement forged by two groups of perennial lusers desperate to change their circumstances. It always more closely resembled a case of the last two drunks left in the bar at closing time going home together because they both knew they weren't going to do any better than it did a real partnership. Throwing the Canadian Taliban into the mix only made it worse."
but you really need to read the whole thing to get the full (pungent) flavour of it.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • That post is an example of why I have a hard time reading True North. He can be an extremely good writer at times, but when he stereotypes like this he's utterly offensive, and nearly unreadable.

    By Blogger Andrew, at 1:07 PM  

  • There's no doubt there's stereotyping, but I find that even when I'm on the receiving end of his rants (say, for example, when he talks about city folk or environmentalists) I end up enjoying them anyway, just for the flair of the writing.

    It's just one person's opinion and I don't let the rough edges get to me too much. But I can see how it could be harder to let it go, reading as a Conservative party supporter.

    By Blogger Declan, at 1:24 PM  

  • Mahigan,

    I dunno - name-calling, even in retaliation, seems an awfully low-brow way to get your point across. It doesn't tend to convert anyone to your cause, and only pushes away the moderates who perhaps could be swayed by a reasonable argument.

    But don't mind me.... I fall into "Rodney King mode" now and then.

    By Blogger Andrew, at 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home