Crawl Across the Ocean

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

There Has to be a Logical Explanation...

for this.

It's not that Stronach would be a bad fit with the Liberal party, but, notwithstanding the offer of a cabinet position, the timing of the move just seems really strange and poor (from her perspective). Maybe I underestimate the level of tolerance in political circles for people who switch parties or maybe I underestimate the fatigue of voters with the Liberal party, but it doesn't seem like a smart move to me.

Applying one part random guesswork, two parts vague memories of the movie 'Trading Spaces' and 0 parts Occam's Razor here is what I think is really going on.

---

Cut to three years ago, the scene is a windswept turret in a fairytale castle nestled somewhere in the Austrian alps. A father and daughter are having breakfast.

DAUGHTER: "You know what, I'm tired of business, I think I'll become a cabinet minister"

FATHER: "Just like that?"

DAUGHTER: "Sure, I'm rich, attractive and moderate - how hard can it be?"

FATHER: "Well, it *would* make lobbying the government even easier than it is now, but you've never been involved in anything remotely related to politics - it's not as easy as it looks, you know"

DAUGHTER: "I don't have to be good, I just have to have connections."

FATHER: "Point taken. But still, it will take time, do you really want to devote ten or more years of your life to such a thankless task?"

DAUGHTER: "I'm pretty sure I can be a Cabinet Minister in three years"

FATHER: "No Way"

DAUGHTER: "Way!"

FATHER: "Wanna Bet?"

DAUGHTER: "You're on. $5 million to the winner"

FATHER: "Sounds good - just do me one favour, run for the Conservatives all right? This castle has some serious upkeep, so the more business friendly the government we have in power, the better.

DAUGHTER (smiling): "We'll see".

----
Hey, it could have happened that way...

Update: On second thought, the scene I described is pretty implausible. There's no way Frank would have minded Belinda joining the Liberals from the very beginning.

----
Note: There's lots more (serious) commentary all around the wonderful world of Canadian blogs: For example, Andrew and Timmy both have some commentary and roundup.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • That's some tangent. There's certainly been a pretty wide range of coverage of her switch, much of it more favourable (not to mention sexist and juvenile) than I expected.

    You'll have to fill us in on how Maclean's handles things next week so I don't have to wait util I have a doctor's appointment six months from now to find out.

    I think I'll take my chances on Vancouver falling into the ocean. After all, it would still be nicer than Toronto (OK, that's not fair, I like Toronto - but Vancouver is better for sure).

    By Blogger Declan, at 12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home