Crawl Across the Ocean

Sunday, January 02, 2005

CAtO Blog Award Endorsements

If you want to vote on the 2004 Canadian Blog Awards, you can do so here. You are allowed to vote once per day (per computer, I suppose) between now and the 15th when voting closes. So without further delay, here are the...

Crawl Across the Ocean Editorial Board Endorsements:

...applause...

Best Blog: Blogs Canada E-Group1

One of the hardest things for a Blog to do (IMO) is to incorporate a diverse range of views and to maintain this over time without degenerating into a shouting fest or an echo chamber. So far, the e-group has managed to do this quite well - there aren't many issues which have come up in the last few months for which you can't find an interesting, informed discussion on the e-group, with strong cases being made on both sides of the issue.

Best Liberal Blog: Peace Order and Good Government, Eh?

Notwithstanding a recent bout of intensive cat-blogging, this remains the best spot for keeping track of any threats to the rule of law in Canada, as well as a good spot for subtle wit, lots of green text and a nice homey feeling.

Best Conservative Blog: Bound By Gravity

A winner almost by default as the only Blog in this category I read regularly. I don't really agree with Andrew all that often, but he generally makes sense and he doesn't fall into the narrowness of focus or nastiness of tone which turns me off most 'conservative' Blogs.

Best Group Blog: Blogs Canada E-Group

See above.

Most Humourous Blog: Bacon and Eh's

I hadn't really followed too many of the Blogs on this list, so I did some, uh, procrastination, I mean research, and of all the nominees, this one made me smile the most. And for those who know me, no, I didn't just pick it because of the title.

Best Non-Political Blog: Darren Barefoot

Not everything he posts is interesting, but a lot is and he posts so much that there's usually something there that catches my fancy. And I'm still a big fan of 'The Night the Aztecs Stormed Glasgow'

Best New Blog: Against All Flags

And I'm not just saying that because Captain Flynn is the holder of the prestigious first commenter award here at CAtO.

I like the way the pirate theme is integrated throughout the whole site, the design is good, and while he's (like any pirate worth his salt) a little confrontational for my tastes, he makes good points and starts good discussions. A (sea)worthy choice indeed.

Best Blog Design:

I don't really know too many of the nominees here, but luckily, for this category I don't have to. To me, the clear choice is Photojunkie.

Overall, I was kind of disappointed with the choices in this category, I mean, 'Tilting at Windmills??' Don't get me wrong, it's a great site, but best design? I remember showing my girlfriend some Blogs to get her opinion on a good design for Crawl Across the Ocean (my taste leans towards garish orange and purple, left to my own devices I probably would have ended up with Bloggers diseased pumpkin template). As I recall, when she saw Tilting at Windmills her reaction was, 'Ugh'. I didn't have the heart to show her the rotting pumpkins.

---

So there you have it, my thoroughly biased opinions. Personally I don't like to see the Political categories divided into Liberal and Conservative Blogs since I sometimes think this division is more a product of groupthink on both sides than any real ideological differences. I also agree with James Bow's point that there should be more categories to reflect the non-political Blogs (although I know nothing about these, I'm sure they're out there).

All in all, a fun idea, and it will be interesting to see who wins come the 16th.
---

1 Disclaimer: As a member of the e-group, it's possible I might be a little biased in its favour.

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • Between you & Timmy G I'm up to two votes. :) Thanks for your support.

    By Blogger Andrew, at 6:55 AM  

  • Declan: Thanks.

    Andrew: Three.

    By Blogger pogge, at 10:26 AM  

  • It's nice to read that I made someone smile, thank you. I'm sure the people I bitch at all day long would more than likely disagree LOL I appreciate the comment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:53 PM  

  • Andrew, You may do better than you expect. As one of the more centrist choices in the list of Conservative Blogs you probably have a bit of an advantage. Imagine if there had been 7 candidates for president in the last U.S. election: George Bush, Donald Rumsfeld, Tom Delay, John Ashcroft, Rush Limbaugh, Pat Buchanan and Colin Powell - who do you think would have won?

    This is a bit of a flaw in splitting Conservative and Liberal Blogs into two categories - all the right wing folks will vote for the rightmost liberal Blog while all the left wing folks will vote for the leftmost Conservative Blog. It would probably be better (if you're going to do it this way) to have people self-indentify as either Liberal or Conservative and then vote only in the relevant category. But then I tend to overcomplicate things...

    By Blogger Declan, at 6:43 PM  

  • I'm not sure if the right side bloggers will be voting for the right-most Liberal blog and vice versa. I myself have been voting fairly consistently for Andrew Coyne on the Conservative side, though I may spread my vote around a bit more. For me, and I suspect for others, it comes down to laying out your points and defending them in an interesting manner. You can get pretty far to the left and the right before objectivity disappears and fanaticism sets in.

    Regarding non-political blogs, here's a few I'd suggest:

    Best Poetry Blog: Vivid - Pieces from a Writer's Notebook (my wife's blog, so there's my bias): http://www.vividpieces.net/

    Best Photography Blog: Photojunkie (that's why I nominated him for the non-political category): http://www.photojunkie.ca

    Best Prose Blog: I'd probably nominate my wife again, but there's also Onionboy: http://onionboy.ca/

    Best Fan Fiction Blog: Rebecca Anderson is a writer that I think will go professional pretty soon. Her fan fiction material is very well done, and she writes exceptionally sagely on religious issues. She's one of those blogs that you have trouble categorizing. Go read Parabolic Reflections http://rjanderson.blogspot.com/

    There's also got to be good music and art blogs out there. I hope we cover these next year.

    By Blogger James Bow, at 7:29 PM  

  • Thanks for the links James.

    You are right of course that writing style, ability to defend a point logically and lots of other things are factors in who a 'liberal' might choose as best 'conservative' blog (and vice-versa) - If Andrew Coyne hadn't been eaten by the cats I'd probably have given him a few votes as well. But I still think there is a definite edge to the centrist blogs.

    I just can't see 'conservatives' voting for 'Warren Kinsella' or even 'Stageleft' or 'liberals' voting for 'Brock: On the Attack' or 'Daimnation'.

    By Blogger Declan, at 8:05 PM  

  • I gave Brock one of my votes in the Conservative category - he's just too sharp to not support. :P

    I'm definately hoping to see a lot more in the way of categories next year - but for a one man effort, Robert's got the ball rolling nicely.

    By Blogger Andrew, at 6:58 AM  

  • Oh man - I just saw this - diseased pumpkin template. First Bow and now you - I guess I do need a change!

    By Blogger Don, at 11:58 AM  

  • There - I changed it.

    By Blogger Don, at 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home