Crawl Across the Ocean

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sun Run 2009


Last year's post is here. The post from 2007 where I explain what the heck the Sun Run is, is here.

After running the Sun Run in 46:42 last year, the pressure was on just to match last year's time. I'm not getting any younger after all... I again took the intraining course (along with my girlfriend Christie who joined the learn to run 10k group), and I did, in the end, manage a small improvement over my time from last year, finishing in a nice fractal three quarters of an hour plus three quarters of a minute, aka 45:45.

To be honest, I'm not sure I was any fitter than last year (not enough to offset being another year older, anyways), but with more experience I was able to pace myself better, going out faster in the first 2-3k, which more than made up for not being able to mount much of a sprint at the end. I would have liked to finish in under 45 minutes, but that's actually fairly hard to do, I'm learning. My time was good for 1696th place, which is not too bad out of over 40,000 finishers. Maybe next year will be under 45 minutes.

(hmm, I looked up my time again and now it says 45:43, a few more revisions and I'll be under 45 minutes this year :)

At any rate, it was a nice day for the run, overcast but no rain despite the forecast, and about 10 degrees which is a little too warm, but not really a big factor, although maybe it played a role in my not being able to finish quite as strong as normal. Since I think I'll be hard pressed to do a 10k much faster than the time I did today, maybe I should try another distance, like a half marathon. Or not. We'll see.

Until next year...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • Good job, Declan!

    We were down at Beach and Davie checking out the action this morning. Guess we missed you zooming by so fast . . . . :)

    By Blogger West End Bob, at 10:23 PM  

  • Wonderful job!

    I think to get under 45 minutes you'll have to look into that Kenyan residency.

    By Blogger Sacha, at 10:38 PM  

  • Congrats to you and Christie!!

    Trish

    By Blogger the Mom, at 4:56 PM  

  • Thanks all!

    By Blogger Declan, at 5:49 PM  

  • Congratulations!

    I missed you by one day, by the way--I left Vancouver that morning. But my other BC-STV buddies were there!

    By Blogger Idealistic Pragmatist, at 4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home