Crawl Across the Ocean

Friday, December 02, 2005

Fairly Random

Inspired by Gilbert & Sullivan, Balbulican is making a list, and if you weren't missed, you won't be missed, if you catch my drift. Luckily, nothing he wrote about applies to me personally. BWA-HA-HA :)

--------

The best 3 shows on television right now: House, Veronica Mars, and Lost

--------

Here is a potential campaign slogan offerred free, first come first serve to either the NDP or the Conservatives:

Liberals have got to go
End this status quid pro quo


Guaranteed to help win swing votes in the crucial not-smart-enough-to-know-Latin-but-still-like to-quote-little-Latin-expressions-to-sound-smart demographic.

---------

Revenge of the Albertans? Could a combination of peak oil and climate change leave the Eastern bastards freezing in the dark after all?

To be honest, if you follow the link, this is more sad/disturbing than funny, and it's a lot more important than much of what will pass for a campaign in the next couple of months.

----------

I'm not a fan of Michael Ignatieff's politics (or how he 'won' the Liberal nomination), but like Kevin says, a lot of the controversy surrounding his entry into politics, especially people taking quotes out of context from his past work makes you think it might be just about impossible for anyone with a history of writing candidly to go into politics. Luckily, my Harry Potter fan-fiction has never been published on the Internet so my future political career is still safe.

8 Comments:

  • Taking a look at the context does not make Ignatieff any more attractive. He was one of the chief apologists for the invasion of Iraq. His "well reasoned" arguments were nothing but an intellectual shield for Bush to hide behind. I am not going to forgive nor forget his role in legitimizing Iraq and I am not sorry that he is being held up to ridicule. If that makes me an ideologue, I can live with that too. Jean Chretien was no intellectual giant unlike Ignatieff, but he could tell the difference between shit and shinola. I would rather have a thousand like him (warts and all) than accept a fool like Ignatieff.

    By Blogger Greg, at 8:26 AM  

  • Recently found on an HP fanfic site:

    "Harry Potter and the Single Transferable Vote"

    Exhibit A, perhaps?

    By Blogger Janie For Mayor, at 12:50 PM  

  • Oh, my god, Timmy! I must see this! Link?

    By Blogger Idealistic Pragmatist, at 12:50 PM  

  • Greg - I proably should have been more clear. I don't think people have taken Ignatieff's stance on the war out of context. Like you say, even with the context in, his position doesn't look too good. Like I said, I don't like his politics all that much.

    I was thinking more of people saying that he is 'anti-Ukrainian' based on some of his old writings, or that he is 'pro-torture' or a 'torture-advocate' a topic on which I wold refer to this excellent post for a less simplistic view.

    Timmy - Uh oh, looks like one of my staffers has been leaking stuff - time to find out who it was and rev up the smear campaign

    IP - My lawyers have had all the offending material taken down, you are too late!

    By Blogger Declan, at 1:17 PM  

  • Alas, alack. It should be written, anyway, at least as a parody.

    By Blogger Idealistic Pragmatist, at 2:05 PM  

  • STV definitely could have improved the voting in the Tri-Wizard tournament, but that's the last I have to say (officially) on this topic.

    By Blogger Declan, at 10:43 PM  

  • What I want to know is why is all the brouhaha over his (rigged) nomination and politics, when the real issue is that the guy is essentially an American? Yeah, he was born here, he still holds Canadian citizenship, but he hasn't lived here for 30 years (has he even moved back to Toronto yet?). Why would anyone want someone who has not lived here since the 70s representing them in Parliament?

    By Blogger talk talk talk / Shireen, at 8:46 AM  

  • Talkx3 - Some people might say that it is a 'provincial' mindset to oppose someone who has gone away to make a name for themselves but I think it is a valid point of concern.

    Just having been gone from Ontario for a few years I feel like I no longer am as in touch with the province's needs and mood as I was when I stil lived there. I can only imagine how I might feel after living aroad for 30 years - pretty disconnected, I would think.

    By Blogger Declan, at 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home