Crawl Across the Ocean

Monday, November 28, 2005

Life in Vancouver

I woke up this morning to a bright blue sky and two layers of white stuff on the ground. One being the first light dusting of frost I've seen this year, and the second being the layer of salt my landlady spread on the walkway to the curb.

Thanks to the salt, I was able to safely navigate the completely dry but treacherously cold concrete pathway. I guess if you live here and own salt, you have to take whatever chance you get to spread it around.

3 Comments:

  • I thought the same when I got to school this morning up on the mountain; there is an actual layer of snow up here (well.. not a full layer), but they've still gone mad with the salt.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:26 AM  

  • Lots more salt today. Plus the landlady shovelled the (half inch of) snow off the walkway.

    Maybe she is worried about a lawsuit? (I half expect to see one of those little 'careful it's slippery, there, we warned you so you can't sue us)' warning pylons out on the walkway one of these days)

    By Blogger Declan, at 5:57 PM  

  • I don't know; on the one hand, half an inch of snow isn't much, but on the other hand, half an inch of snow in Vancouver can be downright chaotic. This morning it took my bus (which I waited twenty-three minutes for - this is a bus that is scheduled to arrive every ten minutes during morning rush hour) ten minutes to make the long trek from Granville to Cambie along King Edward. Traffic was terrible - everyone was driving incredibly slowly, which I guess is better than at least one of the alternatives. All because of half an inch of snow. So it's possible that your landlady is just reacting to the fact that Vancouverites, in particular the ones who didn't migrate from parts of Canada that actually have winter, WOULD slip and fall on an unsalted walkway.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home